Saturday 23 October 2010

Miss Dahl's Fish Pie with Celeriac Mash

Tried out Miss Dahl's Fish Pie yesterday - as I really liked the idea of using celeriac for the mash instead of potatoes.

Sophie uses arrowroot instead of flour for the white sauce and poaches the fish in milk with a bay leaf which I haven't done before but will do in future.

I really liked the fine and subtle flavours of the pie but wasn't very impressed with the look as it's all rather creamy, white and mushy. But that might be a very personal preference as I just love colour....I love red foods and the rich brown of gravy - one of my visual favorites is a traditional sunday roast with its feast of colours and choice and wonderful wholesome goodness....bring on the weekend!

So far I've only made fish pie according to my own recipe which is probably not at all how it's supposed to be but has a layer of melted cheese on top of the mash and I did miss that golden gooey naughtiness with this pie.

Still, I've learned that leek works fantastically in a fish pie, arrowroot makes a nice white sauce and celeriac is underrated....

And after all, cooking out of Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights Cookbook generally makes me feel happy, content and connected to life's beauty of guiltless indulgence...xx

No comments:

Post a Comment